Making a survival kit is essential for people who lives in areas that are prone to natural disasters. The majority of these disasters are earthquake, flooding, hurricane, bush fires, tsunamis, etc. A bug out bag is not only necessary for all households but for sportsmen as well. There are times, that survival skills equates to life or death and this determines the well being of a person during emergencies. Making a survival kit does not only equate to the preparation of some items to survive a catastrophe being trained to use the actual survival kit items is also necessary. There are survivalist who refute the usefulness of making a survival kit. This is due to the fact that people who makes them does not really have the actual hands on experience with the items. In this regard, we may say that these survivalist are correct. What will be the use of these materials if a person does not qualify or know how to use them.
Throughout this article we will not only discuss how important the making a survival kit is but how the 10 most important items are to be used. Scenarios such as being lost in a wood can turn out into an ugly situation, however if you have your urban survival kit things can be steered into a more positive experience. There was a story of a 93 year old woman who survived a devastating snow storm. She remained inside her house for 5 days. When rescue arrived, she was asked if she wants to evacuate, she refused evacuation and asked for fire wood instead. She survived eating canned foods and was able to warm herself by burning fire woods she does not have knowledge of making a survival kit. Using her common sense and being prepared at all times helped her through. A survival story does not have to be grand, laced with several horrific incidents however not all stories have a happy ending but being equipped with the correct tools and knowledge may ensure safety.
Steps in Making a survival kit
1. Making a survival kit requires a list of the most important things to include in your very own kit. Create a list of the things you may need once a disaster or emergency occurs.
2. Pick a container big enough to contain all of the items in your list. The container should be easy to carry around and has a room for all the items that you may need.
3. Gather your materials the most important are the things that will aid you once you are on the run or looking for an evacuation center where food and other necessities are present. We will break down the materials that you may need while you are looking for a suitable temporary shelter.
3. Water – When making a survival kit make sure that all person in the household is accounted for. One gallon of water is suffice for a person for one day. Your kit must contain supplies that will last for 3 days or 72 hours.
4. Food – When a tragedy strikes expect that food will be scarce. When making a survival kit, make sure to include food that has a long shelf life, a good source of energy and no cooking is necessary
5. Clothing – Warmth is important, pack clothes that are warm and comfortable for movement. 4. Making a survival kit is not complete without the items that will allow you to know what is going on around you. Prepare a battery operated transistor radio with fresh batteries. Also include whistles, flares and matches.
5. Include a first aid kit in your survival kit, medical supplies such as over-the-counter medicines, special medical equipments if someone in the household needs it. Although some medical apparatus are heavy and may slow you down find an alternative for it if possible. If there are infants, make sure that the supplies they need are also included in your kit. Making a survival kit is not easy, but it will prove to be useful in the future.
The logic behind in making a survival kit
Making a survival kit may prove to be useless if the person who has it does not know how to use the items included in it. Train yourself on how to use and operate items that are included in your kit. Read manuals ahead of time to ensure that the emergency arrives you are well prepared. Making a survival kit requires patience and dedication, you do not have to have all the materials right away, however you will have to complete it as soon as you can. In doing so, you are well prepared and ready for an emergency. If a certain situation arrives and you are unsure of what to do, ensure that you think clearly and assess the situation. Your survival kit items are your life line during emergencies. Making a survival kit does not ensure your safety however it increases your survival rate dramatically.