Preparing a hurricane survival list is one of the most important task a person should accomplish if he lives in an area frequented by hurricanes. This list enables a person to prepare in advance the things that his family needs in case the emergency itself arises. Preparing your hurricane survival list now, may save your life and your family’s lives in the future. Your hurricane survival list is important because it lists down the things that you and your family may need during a cataclysmic event. It is your primary responsibility to maintain and update your hurricane survival list all the time. A person cannot assume that his hurricane survival list and complete unless it gets updated from time to time.
The contents of the list may differ from one household to another depending on the needs of the family members. In the most recent study, there are at least two to three major hurricane storms each year, these hurricanes are so devastating it result to flooding, houses being torn down by wind surges and death. Yearly, several thousands of families go through this kind of tragedy and some members of these families die as a result. Today, there are technologies that can detect this kind of weather phenomenon, however detection is not enough. Preparation is the key to decrease the number of casualties. Your hurricane survival list is your preparation now in case a hurricane hits your area.
What should be included in your hurricane survival list?
When preparing your hurricane survival list make sure that the following are included, these are basic necessities that you may need in case of the actual emergencies. In the preparation of your hurricane supplies make sure that every special condition and needs of all family members are taken into account.
1. Water – This is one of the most important article in your hurricane survival list. Use a clean, plastic container for potable water. One gallon of water per person per day should be included. Make sure that the container is none breakable and clean. Keep at least a 3 day supply of water per person in your household.
2. Food – When listing your survival items checklist, make sure to include non-perishable food with at least 3 year shelf life. Examples of these are canned fruits, vegetables and meat. If possible, select foods that does not require cooking, refrigeration and preparation. Also choose food that are high in energy content these include power bars, dried meat and foods that are high in carbohydrates. If an infant is present in the family, make sure that milk formulas, food for infants are also included.
3. First aid kit – During emergencies, one may encounter occasions where first aid treatment is needed. A first aid kit is one of the most important item in your hurricane survival list. It should include the following: gauze, adhesive bandages, soap, triangular bandages, scissors, needles, antiseptic (betadine), tweezers and antibiotic ointment. It should also include some over the counter medicines like aspirin, anti diarrhea, activated charcoal (in case of poisoning) and thermometer.
4. Clothing and Bedding – There should be at least 2 complete change of clothing and footwear per person. Make sure that the footwear is sturdy and comfortable enough to be worn. There should also be a rain gears. Sleeping bags or blankets should suffice.
5. Supplies – No matter how difficult the situation might be, it is best to keep the line of communication open. Your hurricane survival kit list should include a transistor radio, fresh batteries, flashlights with extra battery. Also prepare a can opener, whistle and a map.
Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list of emergency supplies.
What is the importance of a hurricane survival list?
Surviving a catastrophic disaster is difficult enough, but it will be more difficult for a person who is not well prepared. In the event that preparation is not done, the best thing a person can do is to survive the event with a clear mind. You hurricane survival list should be created through vigilance and preparedness since most disasters strike when least expected. In the past when disasters strike people are dumbfounded, they didn’t know how to react hence, the large number of casualties. This is real life and cannot be prevented then. However, since we are now in the age when people are more aware of events such as this and are scientifically knowledgeable being caught unprepared is not an option. Remember, always to always update your hurricane checklist every quarter or every hurricane season. A hurricane survival kit is one of the most basic necessity a household should have. Preparation in the past determines how a life and death situation would end. Gauging your preparations should be easy especially if this is created based on your hurricane survival list. In the event that you are still unsure of the things you should include in your hurricane survival list, contact your local disaster management team.
Posted on Monday, April 16 2012.
Learn how to make a survival kit and prepare for hurricanes and other natural and man made disasters.